Thursday, November 1, 2012

A Daniel day

Today has been one of those Holy-spirit filled, Daniel kinda days.  I love these days, especially because I'm reminded--through some amazing moments--that Daniel still lives.

Part One
While Charlie and I were getting ready to walk into our St. Vincent playgroup this morning, I took a call from Peggie, the director at First United Methodist Church (you may remember the church, and Peggie, mentioned in the book).

"Do you have a minute?" she asked.

Peggie began to tell me that she had taken her Mother-in-Law to the hospital yesterday and how she was feeling all "woe is me" because her Halloween was completely tied up with a doctor's visit. But, she'd brought her copy of With an Open Heart along to help with the wait, and she carried it in her arms.

"What are you reading?" the nurse asked her with curiosity.

Peggie said, "Oh, it's a book that one of my preschool moms wrote about her son, Daniel. He was a blue baby that they'd adopted from China. They took him in for his open-heart surgery, but he didn't make it."

The nurse, apparently, was stopped in her tracks.

"I have a son named Daniel," she said, "and he was a blue baby."  "He's had four open-heart surgeries, and he's now in his twenties!"

Peggie said that the nurse--who seemed filled with faith--couldn't contain her goosebumps as she listened to more about Daniel, and she could hardly wait to read the book. The nurse also mentioned that she planned to make every nurse in the hospital read it.

Of course, I couldn't contain my goosebumps after taking that phone call!

Part Two
When we walked into playgroup, I was introduced to a new member of our group, Susi, who brought her two little ones to play.

About halfway through the play date, she and I finally had a chance to chat. We talked about our kids for a few moments, and then she revealed that her sister-in-law knows me.  She mentioned that her son was baptized two weeks back at St. Vincent's, and that her brother-in-law (her son's Godfather) and his wife flew in from MD for the baptism.

Susi's sister-in-law, who just happened to see the ad in the church bulletin for my book signing on November 11th, took one look at the picture of the book cover, and said, "I know her! We know that family!"

Turns out, the Godparents were in our China travel group when we adopted Charlie!  They adopted an adorable little boy themselves! We had even dined with them on our trip!

Is that crazy??  It was Susi's sister-in-law who'd suggested that she start attending the church playgroup with her children. And that's how we met today.  Only God.  I am amazed that With an Open Heart made this connection! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments warm our hearts.