Friday, March 29, 2013

Easter

I must confess that I lived, for many years, without my focus on the real meaning of it all. My thoughts were absorbed by the bunnies, the eggs, the chocolate...everything material. Of course I knew what Easter was all about, but I chose to--sadly--march on blindly while failing to give this sacred season the homage and the glory that it deserves. 

For God's sake, it is the pinnacle of our Christian faith. How could I walk around so nonchalantly about it all?  

Thank God He loves me. And that He is forgiving.

I am eternally grateful that my faith was cracked wide-open when Jimmy and I underwent the RCIA process at St. Vincent Ferrer Catholic Church in 2006. The Easter Triduum has never been the same for me.  And the forty days leading up to it are no exception.

There are a couple other reasons why Easter is also so special to us. It is one of the few holidays we spent with Daniel in our lives, and certainly the most meaningful. It is no coincidence, I'm sure, that he was home in our family for this sacred time that promises us all the hope of our salvation. Of course, we didn't know God's plan then, but we are grateful for those special memories now.

Three years ago, Daniel did get to enjoy the fun festivities typically involved with Easter. He dyed eggs with Madi, Sophia, and Carmelina. He hunted for eggs in the backyard with cousins, Murphy and Myles. He ate chocolate kisses at 6 a.m. with his big sister, and discovered the joys of an Easter basket full of goodies. He didn't know what any of it meant, and he really didn't seem to care. He was an "old soul." Daniel just took it all in stride and enjoyed the ride more than the "stuff" that accompanied the experience.

And Charlie...he was baptized at the Easter Vigil two years ago. After everything we'd been through with losing Daniel, we knew that the Easter Vigil, in all of it's glory and joyful celebration, was the perfect time for Charlie's baptism. In front of an entire faithful assembly of believers as witnesses to God's mercy...and HIS goodness

On this day when we remember that He gave His life for humanity, we are so humbly thankful for all of the blessings He has bestowed upon us.  Glory to you, oh Lord.

Daniel dying eggs with the girls.

Charlie's baptism at the Easter Vigil

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments warm our hearts.