Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The struggle

I feel like, these days, the most amazing things are happening with Daniel's story, and I'm so grateful for it.

Today, as I strolled down the street with Charlie, I ran into a neighbor. Frank is a very insightful and kind man. He has always taken every opportunity to say hello to the kids, Daniel included, and he and his wife even showed up for our fundraiser for Charlie's adoption. They are good people with compassionate hearts. And you can sense that Frank is special after spending only minutes in his presence. I'm sure we all know that type of person.

I handed Frank a card for the book and proudly announced our accomplishment of the book's release. He asked me how much the book costs, and I awkwardly told him the price.

He smiled at me and said, "And now it's time to recoup your investment."

I was stunned. It was as if he could see right through my eyes and straight into my heart.

Without hesitation, Frank whipped out twenty dollars and handed it to me.  And I gave him a great, big hug.

You see, every day, I struggle with the monetary. Because I want so badly to GIVE this book to EVERYONE we know. Even to people that we don't know!

I want everyone to have a chance to know Daniel without a price attached to it. But that isn't the case, because of our choice to self-publish. Should I have waited?  Held Daniel's story in my clutch and chased publishers in pursuit of a good contract?  I think not. All along, I felt a strong desire to get God's message out there. As soon as possible. And that, my friends, unfortunately came with an investment.

And so I realize that I must put the brakes on. Especially if we want to reach our goal of giving to charity in Daniel's memory.

So, while we can't dispense this story as freely as we'd like to, we will continue to trust God's guidance, and pray that Daniel's story gets into the hands that need it.

And we thank you so, so much for your support along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments warm our hearts.