Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Stories of YES #35 - The Ripple Effect of Adoption



Matthew 18:5 “Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me.”

"God had always laid adoption on my heart as a future for my family. I just didn’t know who, what, where, when, or why. My husband, Joe, had always looked at me like I had grown three heads when I have, on a few seldom occasions, mentioned it in the past. So I asked God, if this is your plan for us, please make it abundantly clear.

But then October 2017… Our pastor’s sermon was a new challenge and initiative for the church to have a heart for the orphan, at-risk moms, and the unborn! As we walked out of the service, I told Joe that I thought we needed to pray about adopting. To my GREAT shock, he said okay! That sermon started on us on a crazy, wonderful, difficult, and trying adventure.

I have often laughed, because Joe’s initial thoughts on another kiddo were SO strange and funny to me - but true. He said, “You know I would have been fine with no kids. Being DINKs (Double Income, No Kids) was a wonderful life, but you said we need to start our family and have a child. And we did. Then, you said that we couldn’t have an only child, so we had another son. You know these boys are our life now. We’ll just love one more the same way.” With that, we began our adoption journey.

When I found out that China was still allowing adoptions, my heart immediately went to China. You see, my first cousin, Jessie, was adopted from China in 1998, and I had the amazing opportunity to travel with my aunt on her adoption trip. What a joyful event it was to experience the group adoption of eight baby girls! I have never forgotten the awe of seeing my sweet baby cousin for the first time.

Imagine how special it was that Jessie had her first trip back to China (twenty years later) to celebrate the adoption of our daughter, Paige Qi. These two beautiful Chinese gals have a very special bond!

Our precious little girl came home to us one year ago. She has been such a sweet blessing to us this past year. Without stepping out in faith and saying yes, we would have missed SO much joy!!"

 - Amanda Turner

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments warm our hearts.