Sunday, July 7, 2013

The Call

I remember it well, four years ago on this date.

I was driving home in our brand new minivan. Madi and my friend's daughter, Julianna, were in the back seat. We were coming home from the grocery store and the bank when my cell phone rang.

I remember exactly where I was, too, when the call came in. Stopped at a red light, the corner of Atlantic Avenue and Barwick Road. When I saw the caller ID register "Beth Smith," our contact with Holt International Children's Services, my heart skipped a beat. After all this time, the moment's still fresh in my brain.

Two weeks prior, my Mother-in-Law lost her six-year long battle with uterine cancer. We were by her side for the slow decline of her health; her spirit never failed. When that phone call came from our adoption agency, I just knew in my heart that Grandma Pauline was already calling in favors up in Heaven.

"We have a little boy who needs a home," Beth said. I felt the sting of tears as I took in the details of this 18-month old toddler. I desperately needed to "keep it together" in front of the kids, so they wouldn't be aware of what might be unfolding. I called Jimmy right away to prepare his heart.

I made it home with the kids; I'm surprised I remembered how to drive, since my adrenaline was kicked up several notches. I raced into the house, shaking, and waited for the email to arrive. I waited for Jimmy to get home, too.

Together, we opened the email, and there he was. It felt so surreal to meet our son this way.  Those medical conditions listed on his file were completely foreign to both Jimmy and me, and truly...they really didn't matter.

We loved him already. We knew he was destined to be ours.

Jimmy and I did the research about his heart conditions and the medical procedures involved. We battled with fear over the weeks to come. But the work of the Holy Spirit had already been done. God had already opened our hearts to this beautiful special needs orphan whose greatest need was the love of a family.

What struck us most was that he was given up at seven months of age. Our hearts broke for that child who had to have known love. What was going on in that impressionable little mind of his? Jimmy and I agonized over those thoughts. It hurt our hearts to know he was alone.

You know the rest of the story. And if you aren't familiar with it, I've shared Daniel's life in our family, from beginning to end, in the book. I invite you to share in our journey and read about this precious little boy who changed our lives and our hearts.

Forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments warm our hearts.